Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Teenage Love Story


I’m sure by now most of you have heard me say the name Spencer. For those of you that haven’t- Spencer is my best friend, my “mans,” my companion as we say. So, yeah, he’s my boyfriend. If you know our relationship you know that we are annoyingly PDA, never not talking (shout out to every teacher that’s had to deal with us not-so-slyly texting in class), and basically the same person. We’re always there for each other, always there to listen, to cry, and to laugh, for anything and everything.  

So here’s our little story:

Spence and I have known each other since freshman year. A mutual friend thought we’d ~like like~ each other, or however we would have said that as little freshies, and tried to subtly set us up. Sadly, at the time he was going through deep hardships and we fell out of contact after a few months. When we reconnected in our sophomore year I had just gotten myself out of a terrible situation that I won’t get into too much- but basically I was 15 and stuck in a relationship with a controlling 17 year old guy. I felt exploited and ashamed. I didn’t know how to explain what I’d been going through to anyone. When I couldn’t find it in myself to tell anyone else, Spencer was there
From our first kiss I could feel how much he wanted me to be with him. Which is something I hadn’t experienced in a pure way before. He… just… liked me?? Like my personality?? CRAZY SHIT. But let me tell you, I was digging it. He’s one of the few people I’m entirely myself around.
He and I love to try new food around town, binge watch tv shows, get deep in each other’s hobbies, compete in sports and video games, dance, sing, walk, cook, we even work together over the summers.
 I remember this one night when we built our first blanket fort in my basement and talked for what I’m sure was hours. There was this moment when I was looking at him sleepily smile at me, doing nothing in particular, and I knew I was in love. I was so scared to tell him- what if he didn’t feel the same?? But the way that I felt with him and how he shared every part of himself with me (and the furious encouragements from Kat and Glo) quickly convinced me that I might as well just tell him how I was feeling. SPOILER: he felt the same. He’d just been too nervous to say anything for a couple months beforehand.
I was under the impression that teenage love was puppy love, not real or deep, but this didn’t feel like puppy love to me. It felt like a canyon filled with a golden mist, glowing and mysterious. 
I had assumed it would end eventually, even though I wanted the feeling to last forever. But, luckily, helping him with his algebra changed to calculus and the common app. Meeting his parents grew to hours long conversations with his grandfather. He’s the one that’s taken care of me through both of my surgeries. I’m the one that looks after him while he’s down. And still just holding his hand fills me with warm happiness.
My canyon expanded and a golden river has begun to run with the mist. I know it probably just sounds like a silly youth romance to most of you, but to me it’s a real, deep, true love. The kind that I know, no matter what happens, will be completely unforgettable. The amount of love I hold for him has helped me show love to the other people in my life, including myself. It’s the type of love that makes me write letters, draw him when I’m sketching, call just to hear his voice, and try to tell him every single day that I’m so grateful to have him in my life. Spencer is and always will be my first love. And that’s my teenage love story. 

8 comments:

  1. Ugh this is so sweet and well written! I felt like I was watching a movie! And I love the way you end it, like, he will always be your first love, because that's so sweet and makes me think of you finding this blog when you're way older, and maybe married, to him or someone else, and just plunging back into your feelings again... This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, and it's very brave and generous of you to share this with us. Love is real. It's not always (or ever) simple, but it's powerful. And in my experience, the first true, longterm love in your life definitely is unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met spencer through soccer while I attended Central, and I got to know him better during Archery. He's always been a good person, and I'm glad to know your relationship is going on well. I got to experience your PDA first hand at the Central-Soccer Uni game which was interesting, but it isn't bad in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I loved the way you too us on journey on finding your first love! I can say first hand that Spencer has changed for the better 💙 I also loved the canyon metaphor!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHHHH!!!! MOOOMMMM!!!!!

    You already know why you're both my fav, but this just reinforced it! I am so happy that you're happy. Relationships are hard, relationships in high school are even worse. But you guys have truly made it work and have been there for one another when it counts. You do always remember your first love because they are there the first time you take off your rose-tinted glasses and realize the world is just as beautiful. Great post, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post really is so passionate and vulnerable. I can feel your emotions and love through your words. From what you say, your relationship is like a bright light that we all aspire to. I would like to believe a love like this can exist and last. I really hope it continues to bring you happiness and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you end this blog post - the canyon metaphor is so pretty! Best of luck to both of you guys, you're super cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so cute! Your relationship is honestly what I want. It is so cute that you can write a whole blog post on your relationship. Such an interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete