Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Hoco!

            I love school dances and I know that sounds silly, but they’re fun. They’re a night when we all get together in a room, tell each other we look snazzy, and dance and sing to inappropriate songs. However, as I’ve mentioned, I’m recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery. I was really nervous I was going to have to miss homecoming in addition to having already missed my favorite dance of the year- Howdy Hop. 
In the couple weeks beforehand, I was still struggling to keep my knee stable with each step. I couldn’t turn in a circle without landing in pain. I was so worried I’d miss out on yet another last chance of high school. Thankfully, however, all of my physical therapy was paying off as the dance neared. I bought the cutest romper I’ve ever worn for any dance, I got new gold heels, and I even bought myself new makeup!
I can’t say it was the best dance I’ve ever been to. I still can’t jump or do much on my left leg that I normally would at a dance, but I got to do something I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to do. Going from not being able to walk to suddenly dancing with all my closest friends in less than a three-month span was pretty amazing. My knee is far from healed but I feel as though my hope was brought up way higher than before. 
My world is full of a lot of stress and uncertainty currently, so having a night that was all about dressing up and having a good time was a welcome a relief. It’s shocking how therapeutic standing in a hot, dark room, shouting inappropriate lyrics into the air as faculty and parents look on disapprovingly can be. 
That night, with a throbbing knee and a full heart, I teared up in bed thinking how lucky I am to have great, supportive friends. We gathered in my basement and watched Planet Earth II (y’know, as teenagers do) and laughed and talked until it got late. A few girls stayed over, we stayed up together until far after the time change. Then, we rescued a dog in Centennial Park and got donuts in the morning. Senior year isn’t exactly what I was expecting it to be. It’s hard, it’s scary, plus it’s largely devoted to my recovery. But it’s also full of deepening friendships, excitement, and hope. 



Me 'n' My Cute Date
So thanks, homecoming, for reminding me a little extra what I have to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recovery is a slow process, but it's amazing when you look back at where you were just three months ago and see how big of an improvement you've made! Having to skip dances because of injuries and such is always a real bummer so I'm really happy for you since you got to enjoy hoco :)

    ReplyDelete