Thursday, November 29, 2018

Roots

Today I hit the side of my knee against a desk and it hurt. I thanked a God that I don’t believe in for the pain that radiated out. I could feel the outside of my knee. My nerve damage is healing.
I’ve fallen and I’ve gotten back up. I’ve been cut and I’ve scabbed over. Yet, I couldn’t quite convince myself that my nerves would grow. They are the roots that had been severed. I was completely disconnected from a part of my body for months. I didn’t know I could miss a small circle of skin that seemed too inconsequential until I lost it. But now I have it back and I’m so grateful.
Throughout life, we grow roots in everything we touch, in places we’d never expect. My roots are miles below Uni and wrapped around my house. They are burrowed deep under the rubber base of the Mill Creek Elementary playground and they are nestled against the skin of my friends. They pump nostalgia into my soul as I think of where they still connect me to and tingle as I move about. My roots are my worldly nerves. Each place that my roots reach is like the surface of my skin.
We have so many roots, however, it’s impossible for some not to be broken. We walk too far and they begin to fray like old rope. They snap and we lose touch. When they break it’s like that circle on my knee. You reach to touch it and feel absolutely nothing. No matter how hard you press, the connection’s gone.
When our roots break, it hurts. They are living tissue tying us to something of significance. So, as they snap we feel it. When a friendship ends we can feel the hurt that accompanies it. Eventually, however, we forget. After a month of no feeling on the side of the knee, I forgot until I avidly reached down to touch it or someone else did.
I’ve struggled a lot this year trying to keep my roots thick and healthy, but with all of the work and stress, I’ve felt them fraying. I’ve touched those empty spaces and felt cold. I let myself get too used to that lonely feeling. No more, however, now I’m determined to mend the breaks! I’m going to water them and cover them in plenty of nutritious soil (I’m done drawing out this analogy now).
I’m just saying that even though this online diary of mine is coming to an end, I’m going to keep thinking about what’s important to me. Currently, that is reconnecting with the people I’ve let slip away. As my nerves are healing, so will my roots!

4 comments:

  1. That was one of the most beautiful analogies I've read. I'm really grateful for these blogs. I've learned a lot about people I know well, and I've learned a lot about people I don't interact with a lot.
    I'm so happy for you that you can feel with that one spot on your knee, and I'm so grateful to have made a connection with you. I feel that even if you do have a couple breaks in our roots, that connection would have still impacted us in some way. I've had a lot of "roots" broken, but it has shaped how I've grown as a person.
    It's so amazing that you're taking the time to reflect on your life. People seems so busy these days that we seem to forget to look back. I respect your drive to nurture the "breaks" in your life. If I'm not in any of your classes next semester, I still hope we can find time to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that someone could write an entire blogpost about a desk hitting their knee but you did it wonderfully. I really liked the analogy that you made throughout the essay and found it to be a great way to end your blog. Also I'm so happy that you have regained some feeling in your knee! I'm sure you'll be running around in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool how something as simple as hitting your knee can cause such deep introspective thoughts. I really like your analogy and I'm sure many people relate to it. Managing our roots is hard, but even in times of stress we must keep them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Bumping your knee on the desk really gave you some introspective and deep thoughts.... and all the thoughts were very valid and well supported, so nice job! The analogy worked extremely well throughout the blogpost, especially with the examples and imagery you provide.

    ReplyDelete